Galloway and Collens, PLLC
We are here for you during the COVID-19 emergency.
Please call 248-284-1990 to reach our receptionist or fill out the contact page of our website and we will be in touch.

Resident injured while signing lease agreement sues housing authority

As many commercial real estate property owners in the state of Michigan are already aware, there are certain legal responsibilities that you must adhere to by state law. One such responsibility is that of providing a safe premise. If a person slips and falls on your property, you could be held liable for any injury that person receives.

This could very well be the case for a housing authority in Louisiana this month who has found themselves in the middle of a premises liability case of their own. As bizarre as it may read, some Michigan property owners could be second guessing what constitutes as negligence and what does not.

According to the complaint, a woman is suing the local housing authority after a chair rolled out from underneath her while she was signing a lease agreement. She claims that because of the fall, she suffered injury to her lower back and neck that would not have occurred had the chair not been resting on a tile floor. She says that it is because of this negligence that the chair rolled out from underneath her and caused her injuries.

Although laws differ from state to state, even here in Michigan negligence is defined as failing to exercise the amount of care expected of a person in order to prevent others from experiencing foreseeable danger.

Like we said earlier, if you own a property then premises liability comes with the territory. It's important to remember that not all accidents can be resolved without legal assistance. In instances where this is the case, a good real estate attorney may make the difference between a lawsuit and a dismissed complaint.

Source: The Louisiana Record, "Housing authority sued after chair rolls out from under resident while signing rental agreement," Kyle Barnett, Feb. 13, 2013

For more information on real estate litigation, please check out our firm site from the link provided.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Sterling
  • dbusiness - Top Lawyers
  • SuperLawyers 2019
  • Rainbow Image
  • Senior & Caregiver
  • ICLE Contributor
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Metro Detroit Attorneys

Our law firm is ready to help. Contact the real estate and estate planning attorneys at Galloway and Collens, PLLC, by calling 248-284-1990.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

26075 Woodward Avenue Suite 200 Huntington Woods, MI 48070-1341 Phone: 248-284-1990 Fax: 248-545-2520 Huntington Woods Law Office Map