Galloway and Collens, PLLC
We are here for you during the COVID-19 emergency.
Please call 248-284-1990 to reach our receptionist or fill out the contact page of our website and we will be in touch.

Muskegon to temporarily handle Muskegon Heights zoning issues

The city of Muskegon Heights has found a way to handle its zoning issues temporarily by contracting them to the city of Muskegon. With the addition of a new drain commissioner, the city of Muskegon is prepared to handle all of the zoning problems facing its sister city, including rulings on purchases and sales.

Of the greatest importance to the city of Muskegon right now is the issue of dredging the Cotton Grove and Hartshorn Marina launch ramps due to low water levels. This emergency issue has arisen as the city looks for money to pay for the services. The city is considering changes to a grant agreement with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources to fund the emergency dredging operations.

City and county zoning boards often handle emergency and routine issues and deal with the rules for building or maintaining properties. These zoning boards have the power to allow someone to build a certain type of structure or building plan. They also have the power to levy fines against those who do not follow zoning codes. Many city and county residents are faced with petitioning zoning boards for variances on their properties in order to erect a certain type of structure or operate a business on their property.

A real estate attorney may be able to help those who are struggling with zoning issues or problems. Many people hire a real estate attorney to represent them in their attempts to have property rezoned or for a zoning board hearing. An attorney could protect a property owner's rights during a zoning board meeting.

Source:, "Muskegon City Commission: Agreement on zoning services for Muskegon Heights on Tuesday agenda", Dave Alexander, November 26, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Sterling
  • dbusiness - Top Lawyers
  • SuperLawyers 2019
  • Rainbow Image
  • Senior & Caregiver
  • ICLE Contributor
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Metro Detroit Attorneys

Our law firm is ready to help. Contact the real estate and estate planning attorneys at Galloway and Collens, PLLC, by calling 248-284-1990.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

26075 Woodward Avenue Suite 200 Huntington Woods, MI 48070-1341 Phone: 248-284-1990 Fax: 248-545-2520 Huntington Woods Law Office Map