Galloway and Collens, PLLC

Michigan man seeks help with danger in rental home

In most cases, responsibility for the safe upkeep of a rental property resides with the landlord unless other provisions are made in a lease. Tenants who notify property owners of issues may have a case for a claim if personal injury occurs because the owner neglected to take action. For one Michigan man, a possibly dangerous situation in his home isn't a required issue for the landlord. The man hopes a government agency will step in to change that fact.

The man, who rents a home in Michigan, conducted radon tests on his basement. He says that the radon levels in his basement are around 18 to 19 picocuries per liter of air. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that when homes reach radon levels of 4 pCi/L or higher, action be taken to reduce those levels.

The EPA says that around 36 out of 1,000 individuals exposed to 20 pCi/L of radon over a lifetime will develop lung cancer. The risk is much higher for anyone who smokes. The EPA also estimates that 12 percent of homes in Michigan have a radon level that is higher than recommended.

The Michigan man has notified his landlord of the situation, but has not heard back. The tenant says that Michigan laws don't force landlords to take action regarding high radon levels. An indoor radon specialist says that a mitigation system can be installed. The cost of such a system is between $600 and $1,500. The specialist also says the state encourages landlords and tenants to work together to solve issues regarding radon levels.

Landlords are not required by the state to conduct testing and inform current or future tenants of radon levels, though the state does encourage such behavior. Though residents of rental properties can rely on property owners to take care of many things, in the absence of testing for safe air quality, some tenants may need to do their own research and investigation to ensure their family's safety. Tenants who are believe that they are living in an unsafe home may want to consider seeking the assistance of an attorney for help in resolving the issue.

Source: Clarkston News, "Local tenant seeks radon relief" CJ Carnacchio, Jan. 22, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Sterling
  • dbusiness - Top Lawyers
  • SuperLawyers 2019
  • Rainbow Image
  • Senior & Caregiver
  • ICLE Contributor
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Metro Detroit Attorneys

Our law firm is ready to help. Contact the real estate and estate planning attorneys at Galloway and Collens, PLLC, by calling 248-284-1990.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

26075 Woodward Avenue Suite 200 Huntington Woods, MI 48070-1341 Phone: 248-284-1990 Fax: 248-545-2520 Huntington Woods Law Office Map