Galloway and Collens, PLLC

Estate plan needs vary for childless couples in Michigan

Oftentimes, when people think about beneficiaries of assets and funds, they may automatically think about parents leaving an estate to be split between children. However, for Michigan couples and individuals without children, the process of crafting an estate plan may be slightly different. It may require some more thought regarding beneficiaries than for those who have children and who simply plan to leave all assets to those children.

One estate planning tool a childless couple or individual may want to invest in is long-term care insurance. This can help those who foresee the need for assisted living or even an adult day care situation who may not be covered by traditional insurance, as this kind of care can be extremely costly. Another means of covering this kind of expense may be the creation of a trust.

If there are no grown children to appoint as beneficiaries or as health care advocates, choosing a spouse or family friend may be the only option. However, choosing someone who is the same age can result in not having that person available or able to make the decisions that need to be made. It is generally recommended that any advocate chosen be younger.

The process of creating an estate plan can be highly personal and each person and couple has unique circumstances that may require specific help. Couples in Michigan that do not have children as beneficiaries may have further unique needs and wishes that need exploring. It is best to ensure that any estate plan addresses these unique situations and ensures that assets and funds are handled exactly as the childless couple or individual envisions.

Source:, "Aging and estate planning for those without children", , Aug. 30, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Sterling
  • dbusiness - Top Lawyers
  • SuperLawyers 2019
  • Rainbow Image
  • Senior & Caregiver
  • ICLE Contributor
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Metro Detroit Attorneys

Our law firm is ready to help. Contact the real estate and estate planning attorneys at Galloway and Collens, PLLC, by calling 248-284-1990.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

26075 Woodward Avenue Suite 200 Huntington Woods, MI 48070-1341 Phone: 248-284-1990 Fax: 248-545-2520 Huntington Woods Law Office Map