Galloway and Collens, PLLC
We are here for you during the COVID-19 emergency.
Please call 248-284-1990 to reach our receptionist or fill out the contact page of our website and we will be in touch.

Do I need a lawyer for a landlord-tenant dispute?

Whether you are a landlord dealing with an unruly tenant or a tenant facing ongoing issues with your landlord, disputes can quickly escalate and become overwhelming to deal with.

Many people consider the idea of hiring a lawyer, but worry about the cost and the amount of time it could take to resolve the issue. It isn't until the issue has escalated that most individuals consider hiring legal counsel.

The reality is that having an attorney represent your interests can help with efficiency in resolving the dispute and can help prevent costly legal fees in the future.

One of the most important things an attorney can do is assist with reviewing your contract (if you have one). Contracts are extremely important in landlord-tenant issues and often are the key to avoiding disputes.

We recently blogged about this issue and the importance of having a contract between a landlord and a tenant, and how paperwork is often the key to avoiding landlord-tenant issues.

A lawyer can also help with communication between parties and identifying potential strategies to help resolve the dispute. In many situations, landlord-tenant disputes may be able to resolved in mediation or outside of court. If negotiations are unable to bring a fair resolution, your case may be handled in court.

For both landlords and tenants, legal counsel can be the most cost-effective way to resolving a dispute. Waiting too long to get legal advice could negatively impact your case. There are many other reasons to hire a lawyer for your landlord-tenant issue aside from the potential long-term cost benefit.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Sterling
  • dbusiness - Top Lawyers
  • SuperLawyers 2019
  • Rainbow Image
  • Senior & Caregiver
  • ICLE Contributor
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Metro Detroit Attorneys

Our law firm is ready to help. Contact the real estate and estate planning attorneys at Galloway and Collens, PLLC, by calling 248-284-1990.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

26075 Woodward Avenue Suite 200 Huntington Woods, MI 48070-1341 Phone: 248-284-1990 Fax: 248-545-2520 Huntington Woods Law Office Map