Galloway and Collens, PLLC
We are here for you during the COVID-19 emergency.
Please call 248-284-1990 to reach our receptionist or fill out the contact page of our website and we will be in touch.

What is the minimum time period for adverse possession in Michigan?

When a person owns real estate, one of the worst things they could have happen in regards to their property is losing some of their property without receiving any compensation for it. One thing that can sometimes lead to this occurring is when another party, without permission, uses the property for a long period of time.

This is due to the legal doctrine of adverse possession. Under this doctrine, a trespasser can make a claim for rights to a piece of real estate if they used the property without permission in an open and public manner for a certain period of time and meet certain requirements.

How long does a trespassing need to go for for the trespasser to be able to make a claim for adverse possession rights to a property? This varies from state to state. Here in Michigan, a trespasser generally is required to have been in occupation of a property for at least 15 years to be eligible for adverse possession rights in relation to the property.

Thus, a trespasser occupying one's property could potentially have major impacts on a property owner if the occupation goes on for a long time. Consequently, it can be very important for a property owner to properly address trespasses against their property.

There are actions property owners can take to try to prevent their property from falling victim to adverse possession. Attorneys can provide Michigan property owners who are concerned about the possibility of adverse possession with guidance on their options.

Source: FindLaw, "Michigan Adverse Possession Laws," Accessed March 19, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Sterling
  • dbusiness - Top Lawyers
  • SuperLawyers 2019
  • Rainbow Image
  • Senior & Caregiver
  • ICLE Contributor
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Metro Detroit Attorneys

Our law firm is ready to help. Contact the real estate and estate planning attorneys at Galloway and Collens, PLLC, by calling 248-284-1990.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

26075 Woodward Avenue Suite 200 Huntington Woods, MI 48070-1341 Phone: 248-284-1990 Fax: 248-545-2520 Huntington Woods Law Office Map