In any relationship between a landlord and a tenant, there are standards that must be met to ensure the health and welfare of the occupants of a rental property. Some Michigan landlords do not honor these protocols, putting the lives of tenants at risk. A recent landlord/tenant dispute involves allegations that a landlord failed to ensure the safety of her tenants.

The lives of a woman and her daughter were endangered due to a safety issue in the rental home. Reportedly, they went to bed around 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. on a Sunday night and did not wake up until 3:30 p.m. the next day. It was discovered the pair had been subjected to high amounts of carbon monoxide due to a faulty furnace.

Moreover, there was no carbon monoxide detector in the home. According to the local law, the landlord was required to put one in the home years ago. The landlord was approached about the furnace and carbon monoxide detector, and she indicated that she did not know about the requirement. Of course, ignorance of the law is not an acceptable excuse for failing to comply.

Most Michigan landlords strive to rectify any safety issues immediately. In some cases, however, the landlord/tenant relationship may not be so cohesive and legal action may be necessary. Knowing the current laws and safety standards that must be taken by all parties involving rental properties is a logical first step in understanding if there is a need to take further legal action and what relief may be appropriate to the circumstances. 

Source:, “Tenants battle landlord over high carbon monixide levels in home“, Kevin Torres, May 23, 2016

FindLaw Network